Usain Bolt wins 9th Olympic gold medal
Q. Which sprinter won his ninth gold medal at Rio on 19th August 2016?- Published on 22 Aug 16
a. Nickel Ashmeade
b. Yohan Blake
c. Asafa Powell
d. Usain Bolt
ANSWER: Usain Bolt
Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter on 19th August 2016 won gold in the 4X100 relay final at the Rio Olympics matching Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade to finish in 37.27 seconds.
- Bolt obtained three sprinting gold medals in 3 consecutive olympics and finished his career with 100 percent win in finals.
- Japan won silver while Canada landed bronze.
- On 14th August 2016, Bolt clinched gold in the 100m final to become the first manto win an event 3 times at consecutive Olympic Games.
- He followed the win with a gold medal in the 200m which also makes him the first athlete to win 200m three times at the Olympic Games
- Bolt is regarded as the fastest person ever timed and became the first man to hold both 100 and 200m world records since fully automatic time became mandatory.
- He also holds the world record in the 4X100 m relay and is the reigning world and Olympic champion at three events
- He is the first main Olympics to win 9 gold medals for sprinting.
- He was the first to win consecutive Olympic 100m in 2008 and 200m titles in 2012.
- He has been awarded IAAF World Athlete of the Year, Track and Field Athlete of the Year and Laureaus World Sportsman of the year