Uses of Strontium-90
Q. Which of the following is/are uses of Strontium-90?
1) Treatment of bone cancer
2) Radioactive tracer
3) Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators- Published on 25 Jul 16
a. 2, 3
b. 1, 2
c. 1, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
- The radioactive decay of strontium-90 generates a significant amount of heat. It is used as a heat source in many Russian/Soviet radioisotope thermoelectric generators, usually in the form of strontium titanate.
- Sr-90 finds use in industry as a radioactive source for thickness gauges.
- Sr-90 finds extensive use in medicine as a radioactive source for superficial radiotherapy of some cancers. Controlled amounts of Sr-90 and Sr-89 can be used in treatment of bone cancer.
- It is also used as a radioactive tracer in medicine and agriculture.