What are functions of National Commission for SCs?
Q. What are functions of National Commission for SCs?
1) Investigate and monitor all matters relating to the legal safeguards for the SCs.
2) Present reports to President.
3) Advise on the planning process of socio-economic development of the SCs.- Published on 14 Mar 17
a. 1, 3
b. 1, 2
c. 2, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
Functions of The Commission -
- To investigate and monitor all matters relating to the constitutional and other legal safeguards for the SCs and to evaluate their working.
- To inquire into specific complaints with respect to the deprivation of rights and safeguards of the Scs.
- To participate and advise on the planning process of socio-economic development of the SCs and to evaluate the progress of their development under the Union or a state.
- To present to the President, annually and at such other times as it may deem fit, reports upon the working of those safeguards.
- To make recommendations as to the measures that should be taken by the Union or a state for the effective implementation of those safeguards and other measures for the protection,welfare and socio-economic development of the SCs.
- To discharge such other functions in relation to the protection, welfare and development and advancement of the SCs as the President may specify.
Report of The Commission -
- The commission presents an annual report to the President.
- It can also submit a report whenever it thinks it’s necessary.
- The President places all such reports before the Parliament.
- This is along with a memorandum explaining the action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations of the commission.
- The memorandum should also contain the reasons for the non-acceptance of any of such recommendations.
- The President also forwards any report of the commission pertaining to a state government to the state Governor.
- The Governor then places it before the state legislature, along with a memorandum explaining the action taken on the recommendations of the commission and also the reasons for the non-acceptance of any of such recommendations.