What are functions of Planning Commission?
Q. What are functions and matters assigned to Planning Commission?
1) Unique Identification Authority of India.
2) Assess resources of India.
3) All matters relating to National Rainfed Area Authority.- Published on 15 Mar 17
a. 2, 3
b. 1, 3
c. 1, 2
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
(a) Assess material, capital and human resources of India.
(b) Find ways to augment them.
(c) Make plan to effectively utilize India’s resources.
(d) Set priorities and define stages in which the plan should be implemented.
(e) Show factors that retard economic development.
(f) Find nature of the machinery required for successful implementation of the plan in each stage.
(g) Periodically monitor the progress achieved in execution of the plan and to recommend necessary adjustments.
(h) To make appropriate recommendations for facilitating the discharge of its duties, or on a matter referred to it for advice by Central or State Governments.
Apart from the above functions, the allocation of business rules have assigned the following matters to Planning Commission -
(a) Public co-operation in National Development.
(b) Specific programmes for area development notified from time-to-time.
(c) Perspective Planning.
(d) Institute of Applied Manpower Research.
(e) Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
(f) All matters relating to National Rainfed Area Authority (NRAA) (transferred from Ministry of Agriculture).
- National Informatics Centre was also under the Planning Commission.
- But, it was brought under the Ministry of Information Technology.
- UIDAI, constituted in January, 2009, is an attached office under aegis of Planning Commission.
- Planning Commission is only a staff agency (advisory body).
- It has no executive responsibility.
- Responsibility of taking and implementing decisions rests with the Central and State Governments.
Programme Evaluation Organization (PEO) -
- PEO was established in 1952 as an independent unit of the Planning Commission.
- But, it functions under the general direction of the Planning Commission.
- Its head is a Director/Chief.
- He is who is assisted by Joint Directors, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors and other staff.
- PEO has 7 regional offices - Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Lucknow, Chandigarh, Jaipur and Kolkata.
- Each regional evaluation office of PEO has a Deputy Director as head.
- PEO provides technical advice to state evaluation organizations.
- The PEO assesses implementation of development programmes and plans of the Five-Year Plans.
- It also provides periodic feedback to the Planning Commission and executive agencies.