What are functions of Special Officer for Linguistic Minorities?
Q. What are functions of Special Officer for Linguistic Minorities?
1) Investigate all matters related to safeguards provided to the linguistic minorities.
2) Spread awareness amongst the linguistic minorities about the safeguards available to them.
3) Ensure effective implementation of the safeguards provided for the linguistic minorities.- Published on 14 Mar 17
b. 1, 2
c. 2, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
Vision of the Commissioner of linguistic Minorities -
- Streamlining and strengthening implementation machinery and mechanism for effective implementation of the Constitutional safeguards for the Linguistic Minorities, thereby ensuring protection of the rights of speakers of the minority languages so as to provide them equal opportunities for inclusive and integrated development.
- To ensure that all the states/UTs effectively implement the Constitutional safeguards and the nationally agreed scheme of safeguards for the linguistic minorities for providing them equal opportunities for inclusive development.
- To investigate all matters related to safeguards provided to the linguistic minorities.
- To submit to the President of India, the reports on the status of implementation of the Constitutional and the nationally agreed safeguards for the linguistic minorities.
- To monitor the implementation of safeguards through questionnaires, visits, conferences, seminars, meetings, review mechanism etc.
- To provide equal opportunities to the linguistic minorities for inclusive development and national integration
- To spread awareness amongst the linguistic minorities about the safeguards available to them.
- To ensure effective implementation of the safeguards provided for the linguistic minorities in the Constitution and other safeguards, which are agreed to by the states/UTs.
- To handle the representations for redress of grievances related to the safeguards for linguistic minorities.
Role of the Commissioner -
- The Commissioner takes up all the matters pertaining to the grievances arising out of the non-implementation of the Constitutional and Nationally Agreed Scheme of Safeguards provided to linguistic minorities that come to its notice.
- It also takes cognizance of matters brought to its knowledge by the linguistic minority individuals, groups, associations or organizations at the highest political and administrative levels of the state governments and UT administrations and recommends remedial actions to be taken.
- To promote and preserve linguistic minority groups, the Ministry of Minority Affairs has requested the State Governments/Union Territories to give wide publicity to the constitutional safeguards provided to linguistic minorities and to take necessary administrative measures.
- The state governments and UT Administrations were urged to accord priority to the implementation of the scheme of safeguards for linguistic minorities.
- The Commissioner launched a 10 point programme to lend fresh impetus to Governmental efforts towards the preservation of the language and culture of linguistic minorities.