What are powers and functions of Election Commission?
Q. Which of the following is/are true regarding powers and functions of Election Commission?
1) UPSC is not consulted for making reservations of post in favor of backward classes.
2) The President can exclude posts, services and matters from the purview of the UPSC.- Published on 14 Mar 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Both 1 and 2
Powers and Functions of Election Commission -
1) It ensures free and fair elections.
2) It determines the territorial areas of the electoral constituencies throughout India based on the Delimitation Commission Act of Parliament.
3) It prepare and revises electoral rolls.
4) It registers all eligible voters.
5) It notifies the dates and schedules of elections.
6) It grants recognition to political parties.
7) It allots election symbols to parties.
8) It settles disputes regarding granting of recognition to political parties and allotment of election symbols.
9) It decides code of conduct to be observed during the elections.
10) It prepares roster for publicity of the policies of the political parties on radio and TV during elections.
11) President is advised by it on matters relating to the disqualifications of the members of Parliament.
12) Governor is advised by it on matters relating to the disqualifications of the members of state legislature.
13) It cancels, suspends polls in the event of rigging, booth capturing etc.
14) To request the president or the governor for requisitioning the staff necessary for conducting elections.
15) It supervises the machinery of elections throughout India.
16) President is advised as to whether elections can be held in a state under President’s rule.
17) Grants political parties the status of national or state parties on the basis of their previous poll performance.
- The Election Commission is assisted by deputy Election Commissioners, which are drawn from the civil service and appointed with tenure system.
- They are assisted by various secretaries.
- At state level, Chief Electoral Officer assists the Election Commission.
- He is appointed by the Chief Election Commissioner in consultation with the State Government.
- At the district level, the collector acts as the district returning officer.
- He appoints a returning officer for every constituency in the district.
- He also appoints presiding officer for every polling booth in the constituency.