What are recommendations of the Ashok Mehta Committee?
Q. Which of the following are recommendations of the Ashok Mehta Committee?
1) The Panchayati Raj institutions should have compulsory powers of taxation so as to mobilize their own financial resources.
2) Recommended three-tier system of Panchayati Raj.
3) Zila parishad should be made responsible for planning at the district level.
4) A district should be the first point for decentralization under popular supervision below the state level.- Published on 10 Mar 17
a. 2, 3, 4
b. 1, 3, 4
c. 1, 2
d. All of the above
ANSWER: 1, 3, 4
Recommendations of the Ashok Mehta Committee -
li>Janata Government in Dec 1977 appointed a committee on Panchayati Raj institutions under the chairmanship of Ashok Mehta.
- In its report submitted in August 1978, it made 132 recommendations to revive and strengthen the declining Panchayati Raj system in the country.
Some of its recommendations were -
a) 3-tier system of Panchayati Raj should be replaced by the 2-tier system.
b) That would include zila parishad at the district level, and mandal panchayat consisting of a group of villages having a total population of 15,000 to 20,000.
c) A district should be the first point for decentralization under popular supervision below the state level.
d) Zila parishad should be the executive body.
e) It should be made responsible for planning at the district level.
f) Political parties should officially participate at all levels of Panchayat elections.
g) Panchayati Raj institutions should have compulsory powers of taxation so as to mobilize their own financial resources.
h) Regular social audit by a district level agency and by a committee of legislators to check proper use of funds allotted for the vulnerable social and economic groups.
i) The state government should not supersede the Panchayati Raj institutions.
j) In case of super session, elections should be held within six months from the date of super session.
k) Nyayan panchayats should be separate bodies from that of development Panchayats.
l) Nyaya panchayats should be presided over by a qualified judge.
m) Organizing and conducting the Panchayati Raj elections would be by the Chief Electoral Officer of a state in consultation with the chief election commissioner.
n) Development functions should be transferred to the zila parishad.
o) All development staff should work under ZP’s control and supervision.
p) The voluntary agencies should play an important role in mobilizing the support of the people or Panchayati Raj.
q) To look after the affairs of the Panchayati Raj institutions, a minister for Panchayati Raj should be appointed in the state council of ministers.
r) Seats for SCs and STs should be reserved on the basis of their population.
s) Constitutional recognition to the Panchayati Raj institutions - This would give them the required status and a guarantee of continuous functioning.
- Due to the collapse of the Janata Government no action could be taken on these recommendations.
- But, 3 states of Karnataka, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh took steps to revitalize the Panchayati raj, considering some of the recommendations of the Ashok Mehta Committee.