What are various discussions and special mention in Parliament?
Q. Which of the following is/are true?
1) Rajya Sabha does not have the device called Special Mention.
2) Short Duration Discussion was introduced in the Parliament post-1991.- Published on 03 Mar 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Neither 1 nor 2
No-Day-Yet-Named Motion -
- It is a motion that has been admitted by the Speaker but no date has been fixed for its discussion.
- The Speaker, after considering the state of business in the House and in consultation with the leader of the House or on the recommendation of the Business Advisory Committee, allots a day or days or part of a day for the discussion of such a motion.
Point of Order -
- A member can raise a point of order when the proceedings of the House do not follow the normal rules of procedure.
- A point of order should relate to the interpretation or enforcement of the Rules of the House or such articles of the Constitution that regulate the business of the House and should raise a question that is within the cognizance of the Speaker.
- It is usually raised by an opposition member in order to control the government.
- It is an extraordinary device as it suspends the proceedings before the House.
- No debate is allowed on a point of order.
Half-an-Hour Discussion -
- It is meant for discussing a matter of sufficient public importance, which has been subjected to a lot of debate and the answer to which needs elucidation on a matter of fact.
- The Speaker can allot three days in a week for such discussions.
- There is no formal motion or voting before the House.
Short Duration Discussion -
- It is also known as two-hour discussion as the time allotted for such a discussion should not exceed two hours.
- The members of the Parliament can raise such discussions on a matter of urgent public importance.
- The Speaker can allot two days in a week for such discussions.
- There is neither a formal motion before the house nor voting.
- This device has been in existence since 1953.
Special Mention -
- A matter which is not a point of order or which cannot be raised during question hour, half-an hour discussion, short duration discussion or under adjournment motion, calling attention notice or under any rule of the House can be raised under the special mention in the Rajya Sabha.
- Its equivalent procedural device in the Lok Sabha is known as ‘Notice (Mention) Under Rule 377’.