The Central Board of Excise and Custom is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax and Narcotics in India.
The Customs & Central Excise department was established in the year 1855 by the then British Governor General of India.
It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
Currently, the Customs and Excise department comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
The Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) is headed by Chairperson CBEC and consists of six Members of CBEC.CBEC Chairperson - Mr. Najib Shah, IRS
- Member Budget - Mr. Ram Tirath, IRS
- Member Customs - Mr. B.K. Bansal, IRS
- Member Service Tax - Mr. K.K. Sharma, IRS
- Member Central Excise - Ms. Neerja Shah, IRS
- Member Personnel & Vigilance - Ms. Vanaja N. Sarna, IRS
- Member Legal & IT - Ms. Ananya Ray, IRS
Formed : 26 Jan 1944
Headquarter : Ministry of Finance, North Block, New Delhi, India