What is impeachment of the President?
Q. Which article deals with impeachment of the President?- Published on 28 Feb 17
Term of President’s office -
- The President holds office for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office.
- But, he can resign from his office at any time.
- He needs to address the resignation letter to the Vice-President.
- He can also be removed from the office before completion of his term by the process of impeachment.
- The President can hold office beyond his term of five years until his successor assumes charge.
- He is also eligible for re-election for any number of times to that office.
- In USA, a person can be elected to the office of the President only twice and not more than that.
Impeachment of President -
- Article 61 deals with the process of impeachment.
- The President can be removed from office for ‘violation of the Constitution’ by a process of impeachment.
- But the phrase ‘violation of the Constitution’ is not defined in the constitution.
- The impeachment charges can be initiated by either House of Parliament.
- These charges should be signed by 1/4th members of the House that framed the charges.
- A 14 days’ notice should be given to the President.
- After the impeachment resolution is passed by a majority of two-thirds of the total membership of that House, it is sent to the other House, which should investigate the charges.
- The President has the right to appear and to be represented at such investigation.
- If the other House also sustains the charges and passes the impeachment resolution by a majority of two-thirds of the total membership, then the President stands removed from his office from the date on which the bill is so passed.
- An impeachment is a quasi-judicial procedure in the Parliament.
- The nominated members of either House of Parliament can participate in the impeachment of the President though they do not participate in his election.
- The elected members of the legislative assemblies of states and the Union Territories of Delhi and Puducherry do not participate in the impeachment of the President though they participate in his election.
- No President of India has so far been impeached.