What is panel of Vice-Chairpersons of Rajya Sabha?
Q. Which of the following is/are true?
1) Secretary General of the Secretariat of each house of the Parliament is appointed by the presiding officer of the house.
2) Member of the panel of vice-chairpersons cannot preside over the House, when the office of the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman is vacant.- Published on 02 Mar 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Both 1 and 2
Panel of Vice-Chairpersons of Rajya Sabha -
- Under the Rules of Rajya Sabha, the Chairman nominates from amongst the members a panel of Vice-Chairpersons.
- Any one of them can preside over the House in the absence of the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman.
- He has the same powers as the Chairman when so presiding.
- He holds office until a new panel of vice-chairpersons is nominated.
- When a member of the panel of vice-chairpersons is also not present, any other person as determined by the House acts as the Chairman.
- It must be emphasized here that a member of the panel of vice-chairpersons cannot preside over the House, when the office of the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman is vacant.
- During such time, the Chairman’s duties are to be performed by such member of the House as the president may appoint for the purpose.
- The elections are held, as soon as possible, to fill the vacant posts.
Secretariat of Parliament -
- Each House of Parliament has separate secretarial staff of its own, though there can be some posts common to both the Houses.
- Their recruitment and service conditions are regulated by Parliament.
- The secretariat of each House is headed by a secretary-general.
- He is a permanent officer and is appointed by the presiding officer of the House.