Who are various election officials?
Q. Which of the following is/are true regarding Election officials?
1) Election Commission of India appoints Election Commissioners.
2) Election Commission of India nominates the Chief Electoral Officer.
3) Election Commission of India nominates the District Election Officer.
4) Election Commission of India nominates the Returning Officer.- Published on 17 Mar 17
a. 1, 3
b. 2, 3, 4
c. 1, 3, 4
d. 1, 2, 4
ANSWER: 2, 3, 4
- Election Commission of India (ECI) - Under Article 324 of the Constitution of India, the Election Commission of India is vested with the power of superintendence, direction and control of conducting the elections to the Lok Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies.
- The Election Commission of India isa three-member body, with one Chief Election Commissioner and two Election Commissioners.
- The President of India appoints the Chief Election Commissioner and the Election Commissioners.
- Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) - The Chief Electoral Officer of a State/Union Territory is authorized to supervise the election work in the State/Union Territory subject to the overall superintendence,direction and control of the Election Commission.
- The Election Commission of India nominates or designates an Officer of the Government of the State/Union Territory as the Chief Electoral Officer in consultation with that State Government/Union Territory Administration.
- District Election Officer (DEO) - Subject to the superintendence, direction and control of the Chief Electoral Officer, the District Election Officer supervises the election work of a district.
- The Election Commission of India nominates or designates an officer of the state Government as the District Election Officer in consultation with the State Government.
- Returning Officer (RO) - The Returning Officer of a Parliamentary or assembly constituency is responsible for the conduct of elections in the Parliamentary or assembly constituency concerned.
- The Election Commission of India nominates or designates an officer of the government or a local authority as the Returning Officer for each of the assembly and parliamentary constituencies in consultation with the State Government/Union Territory Administration.
- In addition, the Election Commission of India also appoints one or more Assistant Returning Officers for each of the assembly and Parliamentary constituencies to assist the Returning Officer in the performance of his functions in connection with the conduct of elections.
- Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) - The Electoral Registration Officer is responsible for the preparation of electoral rolls for a Parliamentary/assembly constituency.
- The Election Commission of India, in consultation with the State/UT Government, appoints an officer of the government or the local authorities as the Electoral Registration Officer.
- In addition, the Election Commission of India also appoints one or more Assistant Electoral Registration Officers to assist the Electoral Registration Officer in the performance of his functions in the matter of preparation/revision of electoral rolls.
- Presiding Officer - The Presiding Officer with the assistance of polling officers conducts the poll at a polling station.
- The District Election Officer appoints the Presiding Officers and the Polling Officers.
- In the case of Union Territories, such appointments are made by the Returning Officers.