Why is Negotiation Committee for river Mahanadi constituted?
Q. A Negotiation Committee has been constituted for river Mahanadi for claims of which of the following states?
3) Maharashtra- Published on 20 Jan 17
a. 1, 3
b. 2, 3
c. 1, 2
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
- Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has constituted a negotiations committee to assess availability and utilisation of waters of Mahanadi and its tributaries.
- The committee will also examine existing water sharing agreements on river Mahanadi.
- It will consider claims of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Jharkhand regarding availability and utilisation of waters of these rivers.
- The committee has been set up with reference to complaint of State of Odisha under section 3 of the ISRWD Act, 1956 regarding utilisation of waters of Mahanadi Basin.
- The committee will be chaired by Member (WP&P), Central Water Commission.
- It will have 11 other members comprising representatives from the States of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Jharkhand, Union Ministries of Agriculture, Environment Forest and Climate Change, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, India Meteorological Department and Central Water Commission.
- The committee has been asked to submit its report within three months.