China’s president honours PLA battalion
Q. Chinese president Xi Jingling has bestowed special honours on which PLA battalion posted in Tibet for safeguarding borders on 21st August 2016?- Published on 22 Aug 16
a. Troop 77656
b. Troop 77657
c. Troop 77658
d. None of the above
ANSWER: Troop 77656
Chinese President Xi Jingping on 21st August bestowed special honours on a PLA battalion posted in Tibet close to AP for outstanding performance in safeguarding borders.
- XI who heads the Central Military Commission an overall command authority of the PLA has signed orders to give honorary titles.
- "Troop 77656 is now titled as a "model plateau battalion" for its outstanding performance+ in safeguarding borders, ensuring stability and helping disaster relief,” according to an official statement.
- Close to six battalions are functioning under the Tibet Military Area Command.
- The Line of Actual Control covers a border of 3488 km.
- China says boundary despite is confined to 2000 km mainly in Arunachal Pradesh in eastern sector which it claims is part of the Southern Tibet.
- India holds that the dispute covered the whole of LAC including Aksai Chin occupied by China during the 1962 war.
- Both sides formed numerous mechanisms at levels of field commanders and HQ to defuse tensions arising out of aggressive patrolling of the disputed border
- India and China have held 19 rounds of Special Representatives talks to resolve the border dispute.
- Xi also honoured Submarine 372 whose crew saved it from a major disaster while on a patrol mission in 2014.