1) Who developed Indian Food Composition Tables (IFCT)?
1) Indian Council of Medical Research
2) Indian Agricultural Research Institute
3) National Institute of Nutrition
All of the above
ANSWER: 1, 3
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Hyderabad has developed Indian Food Composition Tables (IFCT), an exhaustive and comprehensive compilation of nutritional information on various Indian Foods.
- After 1971, this is the first expansive food composition data to be released having foods analysed from across the country.
- India now joins the elite league of nations having its own complete food composition data base.
- Indian Food Composition Tables (IFCT) is a reference book for all kinds of nutritional evaluations including clinical practice for analysing the diets of patients and devising special diets for them.
- The comprehensive nutrient data bank will cater to the needs of researchers and policy makers for alleviating the nutritional deficiency and the associated disorders in the country.
- The Indian national food sampling and analysis program was initiated by the Indian Council of Medical Research in 2011.
- It was in order to bring out a totally new ICFTs as an authoritative source of food composition data in India.
- In it key foods were to be prioritized and analysed for a comprehensive set of nutrients at the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Hyderabad.
- IFCT, popularly known as Nutritive Value of Indian Foods (NVIF) contains data which was sampled, analysed and categorized on a massive scale after 45 years of long gap.
- The data enables to monitor food and nutrient availability in the country.
- It serves as a handbook for the dieticians, planners, medical & health professionals and students of nutrition field.
- It forms a basis for development of dietary guidelines, framing of food regulations & food safety, consumer education and educational materials.
- Food industry uses this data for labelling & nutrient claims, product development and reformulation.
- IFCT guides in planning of institutional diets, sports nutrition and food service industry.