ANSWER: Abhinav Bindra
India’s first and single Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra was on 25th August 2016 named as chairman of the 5 member review committee to probe the shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
- He rescued himself from the questioning as he was part of the team.
- National Rifle Association of India said the mandate of the committee was to identify in an objective way the causes behind shooters not securing any medals in the Rio Olympics
- Committee is also mandated to recommend concrete steps the NRAI must undertake to ensure the dismal performance is not repeated in future Olympics.
- Bindra who retired from the sport after a fourth place finish in Rio told the NRAI he would not question teammates.
- He said he was open to assessment by the review committee
- NRAI order states that only in matters specifically pertaining to the interview or findings/conclusions if any against or in favour of Olympic team athletes may then be examined by the committee, the Chairman of the committee shall be exempt in toto if he rescues himself though he should make himself available for interview by the remainder of the panel.
- For this specific issue, remaining members of the commission shall officiate jointly where majority view will prevail
- Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, appointed convener of the committee as well as NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- Order empowers the committee to investigate a wide range of factors affecting the performance of the shooters.
- As per the order, the NRAI Review Committee has been asked to submit the report to the President with the maximum period of 4 weeks
- Committee is expected to hold its first meeting on August 30 or 31
- It has been allowed use of available technology to help conduct work smoothly.