1) SAIL-ASP has won which award on 29th Nov, 2017?
Best Performance Vendor 2017
Best Steel Products 2017
Most Profitable Vendor 2017
Most Progressive Vendor 2017
ANSWER: Best Performance Vendor 2017
Alloy Steels Plant (ASP) of the Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) today received the "BEST PERFORMANCE VENDOR - 2017" award from Ordnance Factory, Medak (OF-M) for indigenization, development and supply of import substitute steel plates.
The steel plates in two categories, for which SAIL received the award, were supplied by Durgapur-based ASP, the special steels plant of SAIL. The award was received by Shri AK Patra, DGM I/c (Research & Control Lab.)/ SAIL-ASP, at the Ordnance Factory's Vendors' meet held in Medak.
Plates made with two special-grade varieties of low- and medium-carbon steels developed at SAIL-ASP as import substitutes were supplied to OF-M for meeting the specific property requirements of defence applications, such as muzzle brake for cannons/barrels installed in infantry fighting amphibious vehicles and their bottom parts.
Muzzle brake is a component that is fitted on top of the cannon or barrel that redirects propellant gases to counter recoil and unwanted rising of the barrel/cannon during rapid fire.
Apart from meeting stringent chemical properties, the plates developed by SAIL-ASP also excel in matching physical attributes of plates like excellent surface finish and formability along with meeting the specified properties as stipulated in heat-treated conditions.
SAIL-ASP: Know More
- SAIL-ASP has a diverse product portfolio of over 400 grades catering to critical end-use by strategic sectors such as Defence, Railways, Automobiles, Power plants and heavy engineering & manufacturing industries.
- For Defence applications, the plant manufactures high impact-resistant steels (armour-grade steels) and customized steels for naval applications.
- SAIL-ASP also has capability for manufacturing a variety of stainless steels products also.
- SAIL is pioneering the 'Make in India' campaign by producing world-class steel products in various categories and partnering the Make in Steel - Make in India vision of the Ministry of Steel.
- SAIL steel has been used in various prestigious national projects like the Dhola-Sadiya bridge, Sardar Sarovar Dam, Metro projects in various cities, Chenani-Nashri tunnel, Pamban railway sea bridge, Bandra-Worli sea link, etc.
- The company is increasing the share of value-added products in its product-mix to meet specific requirements of customers.
2) Which Maharatna firm has been conferred the Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance?
The well known Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance for 2016 has been conferred on Maharatna firm SAIL or Steel Authority of India Limited.
Set up by an Institute of Directors India, this award was received at the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability
- SAIL was presented the award for corporate governance and balancing the interests of stakeholders of the company
- This includes shareholders, management, customers, suppliers, government, community and financiers
- SAIL is one of the largest state owned steel firms in India
- It is one of the top steel makers in the world
- It is currently the 24th largest steel producer in the world
- It was founded in 1954 and incorporated in 1973
- Its HQ is in New Delhi- it owns and operates 5 integrated steel plants in Bokaro, Burnpur, Rourkela, Bhilai and Durgapur
- It has 3 special steel plants at Salem, Durgapur and Bhadravathi