Read-only replication and snapshots. Replication
Replication is the process of copying database into one or more databases to make a system distributed.
Changes made to one database are forwarded and applied to the databases at the rest of the locations.
Advantages of Replication:
- Provides user with fast, local access to shared data,
- Protects availability of applications
- Even if one site becomes unavailable, users can continue to query or even update the remaining locations.
Read-only snapshots are used for query only. Changes made to the primary database are replicated to the snapshot by the Mobile Client.
- A snapshot is a full set or a subset of rows of a table or view at a point in time.
- A snapshot is created by executing a SQL query against a base table.
- Snapshots are either read-only or updateable.
- They vary in complexity.