What is an operating system? What are the functions of an operating system?An operating system is a software on a mobile, computer etc that provides different services to the user by controlling and managing the programs running on the system. It acts as an interface between the user and the system.
- It manages the programs running on the system.
- Used to monitor performance of the different parts.
- OS has different modules, libraries that helps to build an interface that brings the user closer to the system
What is an operating system? What are the functions of an operating system?An operating system is an interface between hardware and software. OS is responsible for managing and co-ordinating the activities of a computer system.
Every operating system has two main functions:
1. Operating system makes sure that the data is saved in the required place on the storage media. Programs are loaded into the memory properly, and the file system of OS will keep the files in the order.
2. OS enables the hardware and software to interact and perform functionality like, printing, scanning, mouse operations, web cam operations. OS allows application softwares to interact with the hardware.