Learn Nouns that remain same in singular and plural form
Nouns which are same in singular and plural formThere are some nouns which do not change when converted from singular to plural. They remain the same.
Here are some such words which we often confuse.
1. SheepSingular: He saw a sheep grazing in the field.
Plural: He saw five sheep grazing in the field.
2. FishSingular: The fish live in water.
Plural: He sells 7 fish everyday.
3. ApparatusSingular: He ordered the apparatus for experiments.
Plural: He ordered 5 apparatus for science experiments.
4. CorpsSingular: Corps is an organized body of people.
Plural: The corps surrounded the thief quickly.
5. CodSingular: Cod fish is popular as food.
Plural: Common species of cod are Atlantic cod and the Pacific cod.
6. YokeSingular: A yoke is a wooden beam placed between a pair of oxen.
Plural: The field was ploughed with two yoke of oxen.
7. SeriesSingular: Everyday she watches a TV series.
Plural: She follows TV series religiously.
8. SwineSingular: Swine is a muddy animal.
Plural: Swine are harmed by bird flu and human flu virus.
9. DeerSingular: He saw a deer in the park.
Plural: Deer are easy prey for tigers.
10. RiceSingular: Rice is the staple food of Tamil Nadu.
Plural: These varieties of rice are grown here.
11. MeansSingular: She means a lot to me.
Plural: The best means of securing the cooperation of workers is to appeal their demands.
12. SpeciesSingular: This species is common in India.
Plural: Speciation is the process through which species are formed by evolution.
13. CannonSingular: This cannon image is very clear.
Plural: The police required 5 water cannon to disperse the crowd.
14. TroutSingular: Trout is a wild fish.
Plural: Trout are closely related to salmon.
15. OffspringSingular: The kitten is the offspring of a cat.
Plural: A cat generally has around 4 offspring per litter.
16. AircraftSingular: Aircraft is made of aluminium.
Plural: Aircraft tyres are filled with non-inflammable nitrogen.
17. InformationSingular: The information in the brochure is incorrect.
Plural: Information brochures provided by them are very useful.
18. ScenerySingular: The scenery of the islands is extremely beautiful.
Plural: The scenery in the African forests are wonderful.
Singular: This is a public beach.
Plural: When the results are made public, I'll let you know.
20. MusicSingular: I like classical music.
Plural: My friends like music.
21. HeadquartersSingular: It is the headquarters of the second army division.
Plural: The company headquarters are located all over the country.
Singular: Gymnastics is my favourite sport.
Plural: What are the different types of Gymnastics?
23. FurnitureSingular: There is no furniture left in the room.
Plural: We are thinking of buying some new furniture.
24. DiceSingular: We lost one dice whilst playing the game yesterday.
Plural: In this game, each player rolls the dice to see who plays first.
25. Advice:Singular: I decided to follow your advice and take a vacation.
Plural: We received a lot of advice on all aspects of water efficiency.