What is denormalization?- Denormalization is the reverse process of normalization.
- It is controlled introduction of redundancy to the database design.
- Database design is denormalised to improve the query performance.
- It is done to reduce the number of complex joins in the query.
- Denormalization on the contrary is the process of adding redundant data to speed up complex queries involving multiple table JOINS.
- One might just go to a lower form of Normalization to achieve denormalization and better performance.
- Data is included in one table from another in order to eliminate the second table which reduces the number of JOINS in a query and thus achieves performance.
- This is done to speed up database access by moving from higher to lower form of normalization.