Explain VBScript.What is VBScript?
- This is a scripting language developed by Microsoft.
- It is based on Visual Basic.
- VBScript is designed as 'lightweight' language with a fast interpreter for use in a wide variety of Microsoft environments.Functions of VBScript:
- Its functionality in a web environment is dependent upon either an ASP engine or the windows scripting host.
- It must be used on a windows hosting platform.
- VBScript must be executed within a host environment.
- It can be effectively used for automating day to day office tasks as well as monitoring in the Windows-based environment.VBScript Data types:
- It has only one data type called a Variant.Variant Data type:
- It is a special kind of data type which contains different kinds of information.
- It contains either numeric or string information.
- It behaves as a number when you use it in a numeric context and as a string when you use it in a string context, depending on how it's used.Variant Subtypes:Following table shows the variant subtypes:
|Empty||Variant is uninitialized. Value is 0 for numeric variables or a zero-length string ("") for string variables.|
|Null||Variant intentionally contains no valid data.|
|Boolean||Either True or False.|
|Byte||0 to 255|
|Integer||-32,768 to 32,767|
|Currency||-922,337,203,685,477.5808 to 922,337,203,685,477.5807|
|Long||-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647|
|Single||For negative values: -3.402823E38 to -1.401298E-45 |
For positive values: 1.401298E-45 to 3.402823E38
|Double||For negative values: -1.79769313486232E308 to -4.94065645841247E-324 |
For positive values: 4.94065645841247E-324 to 1.79769313486232E308
|Date (Time)||It represents a date between January 1, 100 to December 31, 9999.|
|String||It contains a variable-length string that can be up to approximately 2 billion characters in length.|
|Object||It contains an object.|
|Error||It contains an error number.|