Explain about Lempel-Ziv-Welch (LZW) coding scheme. - Multimedia Compression.
Explain about Lempel–Ziv–Welch (LZW) coding scheme.
- LZW is a loss less data compression algorithm accepted world wide.
- This algorithm has high throughput potential in implementation.
- The high level algorithm goes like this:
1. Assign all the strings to dictionary.
2. Identify the longest string L available in the dictionary which matches the existing input.
3. Find the dictionary index for L to get the output and remove L from the input.
4. Concatenate L by the next symbol of the input to the dictionary.
5. Repeat the process from step 2.