2 New Plant Species Found in Kerala: Highlights of Discovery
2 New Plant Species Found in Kerala: Highlights of DiscoveryQuestion: Two new plant species have been discovered from the Pooyamkutty-Adamalayar and Neriamangalam forest regions in Kerala. Highlight the important features of this discovery.
2 new plant species have been discovered in the Western Ghats in Kerala highlighting the rich biodiversity of this area and the need for conservation strategy for an ecosystem which is fragile
- This is an under shrub plant of the mint family
- Its botanical name is Anisochilus shoolamudianus
- It was discovered growing on the highest peak in Ernakulam district, Shoonamudy within the Edmalayalar forest range
- This species is named after the place it was collected at
- It was given the vernacular nomenclature Velluthumpa due to white silvery hairs located beneath the leaf
- The plant grows small white flowers with red others in closely packed clusters which are cylindrical
- Only 4-5 of this species of plants were discovered in this habitat
- This is a herbaceous plant
- It belongs to the pipeworts family
- It was found growing in Mamalakandam-Munippara area in the Neriamangalam forest range, amidst the wet mountain grasslands.
- The plant bears small white flowers which grow in clusters
- Patchy distribution of the plant is a contributor towards its scenic beauty
- Species was named after former Principal Chief Conservator of Forests T.M. Manoharan on account of his contributions to biodiversity conservation and wildlife protection.
Facts and Stats
- The new species were discovered as part of a UGC sponsored project on flowering plants located in the Ernakulam district
- These findings were published as part of international journal entitled “Webbia: Journal of Plant Taxonomy and Phytogeography