Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) - Components
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) – Components
Question: The government has made provisions for PwD(persons with disabilities) to be able to access facilities. Discuss the components of the Accessible India Campaign/Sugmaya Bharat Abhigyan from this perspective.
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) is the nationwide campaign for achieving universal accessibility for all citizens including PwD, to be able to gain access and live independently.
The Accessible India Campaign comprises of the following key components:-
(a) Create Mass Awareness
(b) Capacity Building
(c) Interventions (Technology solutions, Legal framework, Resource generation)
(d) Leverage corporate sector efforts including CSR resources.
(e) Leadership endorsements
• In order to facilitate PwDs, Universal ID has been initiated and the detailed project report (DPR) has been prepared. These will be smart cards containing information regarding the disabilities etc. and will be valid across the country
• Job portal for the PwDs is being developed
Facts and Stats
• Section 44, 45 and 46 of Persons with Disabilities (PwD) Act, 1995 deals with non-discrimination in transport, non-discrimination on the road and non-discrimination in the built environment
• Strategy and Action Plan is being planned for upscaling the skilling needs of the PwDs and their placement/employment
• First ever National Para –games are to be organised in New Delhi in association with the Paralympic Committee of India
• Skill development for 15000 PwDs has been targeted under vocational training to be conducted by NHFDC and National Institutes.
• The Department of Disability Affairs was created under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on May 12, 2012