Animals should not be dissected for academic purposes.
Animals should not be dissected for academic purposes.
Animal dissection is something that is being followed as a tradition in to the field of biology and zoology. The animal dissection has led to the growth of medical and zoological field with many new findings coming every now and then. This animal dissection starts at the academic level in the senior secondary level education in the biology, where the students learn the various life cell components. White rats, cockroaches are the few species that get slaughtered to fulfil the academic and educative point of view for the students and the teaching faculties. These animals too are living forms and experience the same amount of pain and agony while being butchered by the students. Is it wise enough to kill a living animal for our selfish needs? Though some feel that to be okay with advancing medical field, still there are few others who feel animals should not be dissected for academic purposes. Let us check the reasons why animals should not be dissected for academic purposes:
- There are specific species laid out on the syllabus by the education board to be used for dissection like white rats. Still due to the unavailability, normal species of house rats are used for the dissection which is a carrier of lot many infections.
- The animals do have life and they are also protected by the agency like ‘blue cross’ foundation. It is unfair to kill a life form just to fulfil our day-to-day needs.
- Animal testing and dissections include cruel treatments like forceful feeding, forced inhalation or food and water deprivation, which is completely unacceptable.
- Alternative mode of testing can be done on test tubes under artificial medium.
- Human and animal body systems differs, so it would not provide the exact knowledge of the human body.
- Even under the religious point of view it is unacceptable to dissect animals.
-It is difficult for the students to carry on the dissection during the examination, as the chances of spilling increases which leads the students under high stress.
- Animal dissection is the first step amongst the students to have the practical knowledge of body systems and their functioning.
- Animal dissection has led to the expansion of the medical research.
- Animal dissection and testing have paved way for cure and treatment of various diseases.
- Animals do have similar life systems as humans and make better subjects for study due to their shorter life span as compared to humans.
- Animal dissection is the initial step towards the choice of their stream for the higher academic studies.
- Many of the religious beliefs are overlooked for being superstitious. Then how come the animal testing and dissection not be the superstition?
- The animal dissection yield plenty of good virtues in the branch of medicine. The number of animals used for study is much less in comparison to the good outcome that we get.
Though we have got much advancement in the biological and medical field with the animal dissection, still it is an inhuman behaviour to drag poor innocent animals to death without any fault of their own. If we want to advance, we need to search for better alternatives for study that doesn’t cost any lives. Thinking logically, animals need appropriate laws to be protected from this violence and the animal dissections should be banned.
- RE: Animals should not be dissected for academic purposes. -Narendhira Pirasath (08/11/14)
- Yes, because as one of our friend said before it deals with learning the fundamental body structure and more over if students get more stressed with this thing then just imagine what happens to a patient when they are undergoing a surgery ,then there would be no cause for the students to study medical.Since the main purpose of them is to safe guard human being it is necessary for them to have some experience before.So for that they can't play with human beings directly.Instead they have to practice with these sort of things.And i guess in most of your house even you too kill rats for your sake isn't it?
- RE: Animals should not be dissected for academic purposes. -Teena Bhatia (08/10/14)
- Animals serve a variety of purposes in life. They act as companions, they are used in sports and most importantly they are used for research purposes. Animals make as a best source for learning about the living creatures and illness associated with human beings. Whenever a new drug is developed, it is used on animals. The researchers don’t have any other option but to derive the information by testing it on animals.
There is nothing wrong in using the animals for dissection purposes. It is the normal cycle of life where everyone has got a specific purpose to be fulfilled. When it comes to dissecting the animals for academic purposes, it is the only way through which the students can gain the knowledge of their subject. Every gain comes at a price. And the benefit for human race comes from making the trial tests on animals.
Coming to practical statistics, mouse and a human has got 95% of similar genes. The organ systems of animals perform in more or less in same way. Animals and human beings suffer from common diseases including flu and asthma. The base of research is the use the animals for dissection purposes. There are non-animal methods for biomedical research but still they are not enough to replace the use of animals.