Career in Food Technology - options and opportunities
Career in Food Technology - options and opportunities- Introduction, options, opportunities, courses, institutes, exams etc.
- RE: Career in Food Technology - options and opportunities -Rohit Sharma (12/01/11)
Food technology deals with food science and technologies being used to transform raw ingredients into food. Food technology consists of methods such as preservation, packaging and distribution to provide clean and nutritious food for the consumption of humans and animals. Food technology is having very large business all over the world and professionals in this field deals with the quality of food being served to the people. The technology is being mordernized to increase the development of nutritional value of the food. Food technology let the person to learn the right combination to create a dish and the actions which has to be performed to get the outcome. The food processing techniques consists of spray drying, juice concentrates, colorants and preservatives.
Performance and growth of industry in India
Food technology in India is growing in the field of consumer industry which includes the production of pasta, breads, cake, pastries, ready to eat products and ready to cook products. India is the second largest producer of food and has the potential to become the number one in the global market according to the survey which is being conducted by Corporate Catalyst India (CCI). Food technology comprises of food production and processing of it afterwards. Food processing is the largest in India and India comes 5th in terms of production, consumption, export and import. Food industry is growing and it can be seen from the rise from US $100 billion to US $ 300 billion by 2015. Food technology is been increased from 43% to 50% in recent years as more and more consumption is being done by the people.
Options and Opportunities
The options and opportunities in this field are plenty. Experienced people can fit anywhere and lots of job opportunities are being provided for them. They can work both in public and private sectors and establish themselves in the firm. For freshers the industry is very attractive and provides lots of good opportunities to grow themselves in this area. They can choose the career in food processing companies, catering companies, food research companies, and restaurants. Experienced people are also hired abroad to check and test the quality of food being served.
- B.E./B.Tech in Food Technology
- B.Tech in Food Engineering
- B.Sc. Food Technology
- B.Sc in Food and Nutrition
- B.Sc in Food Preservation
- B.Sc. Food Science and Quality Control
- B.Sc. Food Science, Nutrition and Food Quality Control
- M.E./ M.Tech in Food Technology
- M.Sc. Food Technology
- Ph.D. Food Technology
- The eligibility criteria for undergraduate courses is 10+2 with science subjects
- The eligibility criteria for post graduate courses is graduation in food technology or in the related area.
Some good institutes
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, University of Delhi
- Manipur University, Imphal
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
- University of Calcutta, Calcutta
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Mysore, Mysore
- University of Madras, Madras
- Kanpur University, Kanpur
- University of Bombay, Fort, Mumbai
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar (Punjab)
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- Central Food Technological Research Institute Entrance Exam (CFTRI
- GATE Food Technology Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology Entrance Exam (IICPT)
- All India Joint Entrance Exam Exam (AIJEE)
The candidates must qualify the state Joint Entrance Exams (JEE) or the All India Joint Entrance Exam (AIJEE) for joining the course.