Career in Leather Technology - options and opportunities
Career in Leather Technology - options and opportunities- Introduction, options, opportunities, courses, institutes, exams etc.
- RE: Career in Leather Technology - options and opportunities -Ravish Tyagi (11/20/14)
- Anything post for diploma fraser
- RE: Career in Leather Technology - options and opportunities -Rohit Sharma (12/01/11)
Leather has become a modern accessory in day to day life. Everybody uses it in some form or the other due to which it is always in demand for comfort, sports and fashion. Leatherwear constitutes a variety of products starting from belts, jackets, purses, luggage and bags, musical instruments, garment tags, gift items, etc. A career in leather technology is a lucrative option in India. There are mainly three areas of work in this industry: designing, manufacturing and marketing. This industry is mainly centered in and around Kanpur, Kolkata, Agra, Chennai, and Mumbai.
Performance and growth of industry in India
The India Leather Industry is the fourth largest exporter in the world, and is still growing by leaps and bounds. India not only exports the leather goods, but leather products are highly consumed by the domestic market. It is one of the largest foreign exchange earners for the country. Leather Industry provides attractive growth opportunities for the professionals who are working in this sector. This sector is totally based on performance and experience. In this industry the supply of more trained manpower is far less than the demand. Hence, in near future more professionals trained in leather technology will be required in this field.
Options and Opportunities
There are ample job opportunities in the leather industry in India. After acquiring the required qualification and some hands on training, one can work as technical designers, stylist designers, and quality control checker. They can also get employed in export houses, government organizations, leather firms, leather products industries, lecturers in universities/institutes.
- Bachelor of Design Leather Design
- B.Tech in Leather Technology
- Diploma in Leather Goods and Accessories Design
- Diploma in Footwear Designing and Production
- Certificate Course in Shoe Designing and Pattern Cutting
- Computer Aided Shoe Designing
- To get admission into B.Sc/B.Tech in Leather designing/technology, a candidate should have 10+2 with physics, chemistry and mathematics. A candidate is required to clear IITJEE for IITs and AIEEE for entry into NITs.
- In order to pursue M.Tech in Leather Technology B.Tech degree is required.
Some good institutes
- Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), Chennai
- The National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Banglore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- Central Footwear Training Centre, Agra
- Avi School of Fashion and Shoe Technology, Chandigarh
- Government Leather Institute at Agra
- Bharath Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Govt. College of Engineering and Leather Technology, Kolkata
- Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology, Bihar
- IIT JEE