Career in Polymer/Plastic Engineering - options and opportunities
Career in Polymer/Plastic Engineering - options and opportunities- Introduction, options, opportunities, courses, institutes, exams etc.
- RE: Career in Polymer/Plastic Engineering - options and opportunities -Rohit Sharma (12/01/11)
Polymer also termed as Plastic engineering is one of the rapidly growing fields worldwide. Lots of research and experiments has been done over the past to understand this field better and to produce some good results which are beneficial for the country. It combines the knowledge of principles of sciences and technologies to perform various activities on a product to manufacture it. This field is generating lots of engineers which are expected to solve many common problems in life. This field plays very important role in our lives as its applications are versatile and it is applied to many industries, packaging, sports, medicine, perfumes and preservatives, plastic materials etc. Polymer engineering is a growing field and it will take some time for people to show interest in this as well as to understand the complexity of it.
Performance and growth of industry in India
The growth of this industry is been very rapid. It is growing at very fast pace in recent years as the need of engineers are rising the field is becoming very vital and plays very important role in our lives. People with good knowledge or expertise are finding good places in industries such as Petroleum industries, oil industries, polymer industries etc. The demand is rising due to efficient handling of the process of manufacturing the products. It includes various tools which get used for the waste management. So, the performance can be clearly seen but it will take few more years when people will be really comfortable with this career prospect. Indian market is also doing its bit to increase the popularity and making people to come forward to start their career with it.
Options and Opportunities
There are many job opportunities for those who have sound knowledge and ethics to carry the job forward in Polymer and Plastic Engineering. Engineers can go in public or private sector according to their choice where they can do research or development or choose something else of their own interest. They can also work as plastics engineers, technicians and as technologists in industry to grow themselves and learn new techniques and technologies.
- B.E. Polymer Science and Chemical Technology
- B.E. Polymer Technology
- B.Tech. Polymer Science and Technology (PST)
- M.E. Polymer Technology
- M.Tech. Polymer Science and Technology
- Ph.D. Polymer Science and Technology
- The eligibility criteria to pursue undergraduate programme in polymer/plastic engineering is 10+2 with maths, chemistry and physics from any recognised board. Candidates are also required to qualify JEE, State level and national level entrance exams.
- The eligibility criteria to purse a postgraduate programmes is B.E/B.Tech in polymer/plastic engineering. Candidates are required to qualify GATE exam
Some good institutes
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology, Chennai
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- Birla Institute of Technology: Department of Polymer Engineering, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- University of Calcutta: Department of Polymer Science and Technology, Kolkata
- B.S Abdur Rahman University, Chennai
- Cochin Unversity : The Department of Polymer Science and Rubber Technology, Kerala
- All India Engineering/ Architecture Entrance Examination (AIEEE)
- Associate Member of the Institution of Engineers (AMIE) Examination
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- ISAT Admission Test (IIST, Thiruvananthapuram)
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)
- National Aptitude Test in Architecture
- SLIET Entrance Test (SET)
- Statewise Entrance Examinations