Communication Design : Just Words and Visuals! - Eligibility, institutes and prospects
Communication Design : Just Words and Visuals! – Eligibility, institutes and prospects
What is Communication Design?
A comparatively newer field, Communication Designers use texts, visuals and videos as a medium to express their thoughts and ideas, create brands or even promote products. In the digital world that we live in, communication design has emerged as a powerful medium to reach out to a greater population. The course teaches how to combine design with art and technology. Along with possessing basic designing skills, a communication designer should have exceptionally good conceptual abilities and out of the box thinking.
Are there any colleges in India to pursue a Communication Design course?
A lot many institutes offer a single program which covers all the subjects of communication, whereas there are some which offer separate courses for each of the subject. You could choose to either specialize at the under graduate level or opt for a specialization once you get enough exposure and understanding. There are various subjects you could specialize in like, Graphic, Animation, Film Design, Interaction Design and Film/Video Communication. Below are mentioned some of the colleges with the programs they offer.
• National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad- Graduate Diploma Program in Design
• Symbiosis Institute of Design- B.Des Communication Design
• Pearl Academy, Delhi, Noida, Mumbai- BA (Hons) Communication Design
• Sushant School of Design, Gurgaon- B.Des Visual Communication
• MAEER's MIT IOD, Pune- Graduate Diploma- Graphic/Film and Video/Animation Film
• Srishti School of Art, Design and Technology, Bangalore- UG Professional Diploma Program- Visual Communication/Interface and Interaction/Animation and Visual Effects/Digital Video Production
• ISDI Parsons, Mumbai- Graduate Diploma- Communication Design
What is the eligibility criteria to study Communication Design?
You must have passed 10+2. Other than this you will have to clear a creative test followed by an interview.
Which are the entrance tests to be taken prior to the admission?
CEED is the most important and common test held for any designing course. Apart from this, a few institutes may conduct their own entrance tests.
Since this is a developing field, what is the career scope or job prospects?
Communication designers are required across various sectors and with the digital wave, most of the organizations are looking to tap this means to get across their messages. There is a large scale demand in companies which are into website design, computer interface, social networking as well as multi media communications. There also are animation studios, publication houses, advertising agencies and event companies where you can work. You could also choose to start your consultancy.