Eligibility criteria and personal qualities to be an Environmental Scientist
What is the eligibility criteria to get into Environmental Sciences?
• The subject is taught at the Post Graduate level (M.Sc.), but there are few institutions offering graduate courses.
• This is specialised as a special course.
• The eligibility criteria for 3 year Bachelor’s in Environmental Science is a pass in 10+2 examination or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
• The requirement for 2 years M.Sc. Environmental Science is a bachelor's degree in any discipline of science namely zoology, botany, physics, chemistry, biology, agriculture science etc.
• Work experience is preferred by some institutes for the MSc course and some institutes conduct entrance examinations.
• After completing your Master’s degree you can opt for a doctoral course like M.Phil. and Ph.D. and become environmental scientists.
• Ph.D. courses are offered by Post Graduate Studies and Research, Hyderabad and Osmania University.
• You can also opt for a diploma course, which are offered by certain institutes, in environmental science and environment management.
What are the personal attributes required in this field?
• Love for nature is important.
• Creative and a flexible mind
• Keen interest in preservation and conservation
• Good communicating skills
• Ability to interpret data.
• Problem solving skills
• Oral and writing ability
• Ability to work as a team.
• A keen observation and eye for detail.
• Should have a scientific bent of mind.