ePDS - Inititative to improve PDS and its features
ePDS – Inititative to improve PDS and its features
Question - e-PDS has been introduced by the Delhi government recently. Discuss the features of this system and also mention steps taken by the government to improve PDS in India.
e-PDS System in Delhi: Features
• For reforming the public distribution system. Delhi government has launched a one of its kind initiative e-PDS
• Beneficiaries will get details about ration and related details via SMS
• As per the online system. government will also monitor movement of trucks carrying woodgrains through GPS to prevent diversion of food grains
• An electronic PDSCM or Public Distribution Supply Chain Management centre has also been set up in Central Delhi
• ePDSCM will monitor information about movement of trucks from FCI to Indian godowns
• This information will be relayed to government officials and target beneficiaries through the SMS
• As per estimates, Delhi government provides food grains to 17 lakh beneficiaries under the system
• This initiative has been launched to bring efficiency and transparency to the PDS
Steps Taken for Improving PDS
• Quality food grains will be supplied under PDS and welfare schemes: such food grain should be free of infestation by insets and it should conform to Food Safety Standards of the PDS
• Enough opportunities must be provided to state government/UT government officials to assess quality of food grains prior to their transportation from FCI godowns.
• Samples of food grains are to be collected as well as sealed from stocks of food grains issued jointly by FCI and State Food and Civil Supplies Department
• Officer not below the rank of inspector will be deputed from the State government to ensure delivery of food grain stocks from FCI godowns.
• Regular inspection will be carried out for checking the quality of food grains; surprise checks will also be carried out by the Quality Control Cell of the department
• Concerned State/UT government will ensure transportation and storage at different stages in the PDS are streamlined and food grains meet quality specifications at all stages
• State government shall ensure food grains meet established safety and standards where decentralised procurement is operating
Facts and Stats
• India’s PDS/Public Distribution System has evolved for managing food grains and ensuring their availability at reasonable prices
• PDS is operated jointly by Central and State governments
• Centre through FCI has taken responsibility for procurement, storage, transportation and bulk allocation of food grains to state governments
• Revamped PDS (RPDS) was launched in the month of June 1992 in all 1775 blocks in the nation
• Targeted PDS was introduced from June 1997.