Healthcare Portal & Medical Tourism in India - Advantages
Healthcare Portal & Medical Tourism in India – Advantages
Question: Recently, the Indian Healthcare Portal was launched by PM Narendra Modi. Discuss the main features of the portal and advantages of medical tourism in India.
India’s Healthcare Portal : Main Features
• The PM of India has inaugurated India’s Healthcare Portal at SAARC Trade Mart in the Global Exhibition on Services at ITPO, Pragati Maidan.
• The healthcare portal was launched during a 3 day exhibition on services which commenced on 23rd April, 2015
• The healthcare portal was developed by the Department of Commerce, GoI in collaboration with Services Export Promotion Council/SEPC
• Portal has awaited need fulfilment for authentic and dynamic data source which can be used by treatment seekers and medical tourists across the world
• Portal is a comprehensive information site where data is presented at a single place
• This portal covers 124 accredited medical facilities including 93 medical centres, 30 Ayurveda and wellness centres and 1 centre for special category. 74 facilities are located in Tier 1 cities and remaining are in Tier II cities
• Medical facilities on the healthcare portal can easily be accessed by easy to search options through location, specific procedures, medical speciality, language options in various hospitals and their certifications
• Key medical and wellness procedures performed by institutions are highlighted along with associated details such as costs pertaining to treatment in Indian hospitals, travel as well as visa formalities, last mile connectivity, tariff options on stay, benefits of treatment in the nation, advance arrangements in relation to seeking medical care and so on
• A short film on India as a prime medical tourism destination was also released on the portal
Advantages of Medical Tourism in India
• Highest benefit of medical travel in India is low cost healthcare service.
• Technological advancement and skilled doctors are available
• High standards of health care are available at India
• There is no language barrier as English is spoken widely across the nation
• Relaxed visa rules are also another major benefit of medical tourism in India; patients from specific nations can attain visa on arrival to India
• Offering low cost generic medicines is a massive plus point as well
• Specialty treatment as well as treatment cum leisure destination are another major benefit of India’s medical tourism
• Low cost consulting fee is another major benefit of medical tourism in India
• No waiting period is there for treatment and there is availability of advanced equipments and medications
Facts and Stats
• Growth of medical tourism in India has been rapid in the past decade
• According to a CII report, around 1,50,000 patients travelled in India for seeking health care services in 2005
• As per the Ministry of Tourism, India, medical tourism will grow to 30% by 2015; it will become a USD 2 billion industry.