IAS Prelims GS Questions and Answers - Aug 24 & 25, 20151. Callicebus urubambensis is a
a) Rare plant species in amazon rain-forest
b) A small reddish brown monkey species discovered in Peru
c) Highly venomous cobra inhabiting a wide variety of biomes across southern Africa
d) NoneView Answer / Hide Answer
2.Which of the following country is removed from the list of countries put under the restricted visa category by Indian government?
ANSWER: b) A small reddish brown monkey species discovered in Peru
A new species of monkey has been discovered on an expedition to the remote Urubamba river in Amazonian Peru. It has been named the Urubamba brown titi, Callicebus urubambensis.
d) Iran View Answer / Hide Answer
3.The ‘nendran’ banana variety has been accorded the Geographical Indication (GI) status. Which Indian state produces nendran’ banana
ANSWER: d) Iran
India has liberalized its visa policy for Iran and struck Iran out off the prior referral category (PRC) countries.
b) Tamil Nadu
d) Andhra PradeshView Answer / Hide Answer
4. Match the pairs of Elephant reserves and states
ANSWER: c) Kerala
Chengazhikodan Nendran Banana, also known Chengazhikode Banana, is among the most popular traditional fruits cultivated in Thrissur district, Kerala. This variety of Nendran Banana is famed for its characteristic taste, bunch shape and fruit colour. The mature fruits are pale yellow and, on ripening, turn golden yellow with red patches. Bunches of Chengalikodan are particularly used as ‘Kazhchakula’(auspicious sighting) to be offered in temples and also as gift to relatives and friends, particularly during the Onam season. The crop is mainly cultivated in organic mode and the crop duration is 13-14 months.
1. Chirang Ripu ------------------------- i.Nagaland
2. Intanki ------------------------------ ii.West Bengal
3. Khasi Hills -------------------------- iii.Assam
4. Srivilliputtur Elephant Reserve ------ iv.Meghalya
5. Mayurjharna Elephant Reserve --------- v. Tamilnadu
a) 1- iii, 2- i, 3- iv, 4- v, 5- ii
b) 1- v, 2- iv, 3- i, 4- iii, 5- ii
c) 1- iv, 2- v, 3- i, 4- iii, 5- ii
d) 1- v, 2- iii, 3- ii, 4- iv, 5- iView Answer / Hide Answer
5. Which of the following statements are correct?
ANSWER: a) 1- iii, 2- i, 3- iv, 4- v, 5- ii
1. The Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets (Imposition of Tax) Act 2015 imposes civil and criminal liabilities on any person who helps or induces another to make a wrong declaration relating to tax.
2. This will be punishable with rigorous imprisonment ranging from six months to seven years.
3. This provision will also apply to banks and financial institutions aiding the concealment of foreign income, assets of resident Indians or falsification of documents.
d) AllView Answer / Hide Answer6. With which of the following countries India has signed agreement of Exchange of tax information?
5. Cayman Islands
d) AllView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
ANSWER: a) 1,3,5
Agreement of Exchange of tax information is signed with Argentina, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Macao, Monaco, Seychelles and San Marino.
1. The Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has introduced the Universal Account Number (UAN) for members.
2. The number allows portability of PF accounts from one employer to another without depending on any employer for withdrawal of EPF balance.
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
d) NoneView Answer / Hide Answer
8. ISRO operationalize India's biggest telescope 'MAST' at
ANSWER: c) Both
The number allows a member to view all his or her EPF accounts with current and former employers. With the number, a member can initiate the process of closing old accounts and transferring balances. The number, which has to be allotted by an employer, needs to be activated. Number allows portability of PF accounts from one employer to another without depending on any employer for withdrawal of EPF balance. The number allows a member to view all his or her EPF accounts with current and former employers. With the number, a member can initiate the process of closing old accounts and transferring balances. The number, which has to be allotted by an employer, needs to be activated.
d) AgraView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c) Udaipur
Udaipur Solar Observatory has a unique telescope 'Multi Application Solar Telescope' (MAST) for detailed study of solar activities which could facilitate space weather predictions in the future.The observatory is situated on an island in the middle of Fatehsagar lake.Unlike other telescopes, MAST is capable to capture three-dimensional aspects of the solar magnetic fields further enabling the scientists to get a better understanding of the solar flares and eruptions taking place in such twisted magnetic fields.It is a part of the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), an autonomous unit of the Department of Space, which operationalized the telescope recently.Using MAST, the scientists can plan to extend the studies to other layers using multiple spectral line diagnostics.It will also help to track the behavior of magnetic stresses as a function of the epoch of the solar cycle.