IAS Prelims GS Questions and Answers - July 24, 20151. The oldest recorded census in India occured during
a) Vardhan period
b) Gupta period
c) Maurya period
d) Sangam periodView Answer / Hide Answer
2. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
ANSWER: c) Maurya period
The oldest recorded census in India is thought to have occurred around 300 BCE during the reign of the Emperor Chandragupta Maurya under the leadership of Kautilya or Chanakya.
1. Iyothee Thass was a prominent Dalit and anti-caste activist and pioneer of the Dravidian Movement.
2. He also founded the Punchmar Mahajana Sabha in 1891 along with Rettaimalai Srinivasan.
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
d) None View Answer / Hide Answer
3. Which of the following pair is wrongly matched?
ANSWER: c) Both
Punchamars are the 5th group in the varna system.
a) Willy-willies: Australia
b) Chinook wind: North America
c) Föhn: North Italy
d) Buran: IraqView Answer / Hide Answer
4. Match the pairs
ANSWER: d) Buran: Iraq
The Buran is a wind which blows across eastern Asia, specifically Xinjiang, Siberia, and Kazakhstan.
1. Jenu Kurubas --------------------i.Manipur
2. Meitei -----------------------------ii. Madhya Pradesh
4. Chenchu-------------------------iv. karnataka
5. Bhoks-----------------------------v. Andhra Pradesh
a) 1- ii, 2- v, 3-i, 4- iii ,5-iv
b) 1- iv, 2- i, 3-ii, 4- v ,5-iii
c) 1- v, 2- iii, 3-iv, 4-i , 5-ii
d) 1- ii, 2- i, 3-v, 4- iii ,5-ivView Answer / Hide Answer
5.Consider the following statements
ANSWER: b) 1- iv, 2- i, 3-ii, 4- v ,5-iii
1. Begum Rokeya was a notable Muslim feminist
2. She established the first school aimed primarily at Muslim girlsWhich of the above statements is/are correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
d) NoneView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Which of the following statements related to Bharatiya Mahila Bank are true?
ANSWER: c) Both
Begum Roquia also founded the Anjuman e Khawateen e Islam (Islamic Women's Association), which was active in holding debates and conferences regarding the status of women and education. She advocated reform, particularly for women, and believed that parochialism and excessive conservatism were principally responsible for the relatively slow development of Muslims in British India. As such, she is one of the first Islamic feminists.
1. M.B.N. Rao panel praepared a blue print for Bharatiya Mahila Bank
2. The bank is operating exclusively for women
3. The Bank has been allocated with an initial capital of Rs. 1000 Crores.
4. Nirbhaya Fund was administered by Bharatiya Mahila Bank
d) AllView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Which of the following statements related to Payment Bank are true?
ANSWER: a) 1,3
Although initially reported as a bank exclusively for women, the bank allows deposits to flow from everyone, but lending will be predominantly for women.
Nirbhaya Fund was announced by the Finance Minister in his 2013 budget speech, with Government contribution of Rs. 1000 Crores for empowerment, safety and security of women and girl children. The Fund is administered by Department of Economic Affairs of the finance ministry.
1. It only receive deposits and provide remittances to migrant laborors.
2. The minimum capital requirement is ?100 crore.
3. For the first five years, the stake of the promoter should be 40% minimum.
4. Foreign share holding will not be allowed in these banks
5. India Post will use its large network to run a payments bank.
e) AllView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a) 1.2.3,5
Foreign share holding will allowed in these banks as per the rules for FDI in private banks in India.