Institutes to study Yoga and earning potential of Yoga trainers
Name some of the good institutions where I can take yoga classes?
- Directorate of Distance Education, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhan Samasthana run a three year Bachelor of Science program in Yoga. The duration of the course is 3 years and the minimum eligibility is 50% marks in 10+2 or equivalent and should have completed a yoga instructor’s course. The institute admits candidates twice in a year. The fees of the course is somewhere around 40,000-45,000 INR.
- A degree course in Yoga Therapies is also conducted by K.J. Somaiya Bhartiya Sanskriti Peetham in affiliation with Kavi Kulaguru Kalidas Sanskrit University, Ramtek. The course duration is three years and familiarizes students with the history, evolution of yoga, principles and philosophies of yoga; human anatomy, physiology and psychology, Bhakti yoga, mystic yoga, applied yoga, yoga and cultural synthesis, etc.
- In addition to this, there are several programs which are as short as one week to six weeks in duration and train candidates on different yoga therapies, yoga for different ailments such as Asthma, Hypertension, Diabetes and also for disorders such as week eyesight, weak memory and concentration, etc. They also have a two days workshop on spiritual retreat.
- School of Health Sciences (SOHS), IGNOU offers postgraduate diploma in Acupuncture for Medical gradates of Yoga, Allopath, Unani, etc.
- Purna Swasthya Yoga Therapy Centre have special courses for yoga therapy for back ache, cervical spondylosis, frozen shoulder, dyspepsia, coronary artery diseases, weight loss, osteoarthritis and other pranayam techniques.
- Patanjali Yogpeeth, Haridwar
What is the remuneration I can expect as a yoga trainer?
Yoga has become an intrinsic part of the fitness country, which boasts of being a 200 crores company in a country like India. The remuneration depends on the level of proficiency of the trainer in different yogic practices. As a fresher you can earn somewhere around 5000-10,000. However as your expertise and proficiency increases, it can pay you in huge amounts and that too on part time and freelance basis. Once you gain experience, you can start your own fitness label and cater to the different needs of people and make yoga a source of hefty income. Alternatively you can be a yoga instructor for wealthy individuals and there it goes! As a yoga teacher in a school or any academic institution, a person can earn from 15,000-30,000 INR per month. In health clubs and spas, depending on the nature of the job, one can earn up to 30,000INR per month.