Latest polity and governance questions for IAS prelims - Set 11. Which of the following is/are criteria for selection of classical language?
1. High antiquity of its early texts/recorded history over a period of 1500-2000 years
2. A body of ancient literature/texts, which is considered a valuable heritage by generations of speakers
3. The literary tradition should be original and not borrowed from another speech community
4. The classical language and literature being distinct from the modern, there may also be discontinuity between the classical language and its later forms or offshoots.
d) All the aboveView Answer / Hide Answer2. Which of the following are classical languages in India?
a) Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali ,Malayalam
b) Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada ,Malayalam
c) Sanskrit, Marathi, Bengali, Urdu ,Telgu
d) Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, SindhiView Answer / Hide Answer
3.Which of the following became first language of Indo-Aryan family to get classical status after Sanskrit?
ANSWER: b) Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada ,Malayalam
d) HindiView Answer / Hide Answer
4. Consider the following statements
ANSWER: c) Odia
Explanation: Odia became the sixth language of the country to get "classical language" status after the Union Cabinet conceded a long-pending demand for putting it in the same league as Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam.
1. Once a language is declared classical, it gets financial assistance for setting up a center of excellence for the study of that language.
2. It also opens up an avenue for two major awards for scholars of eminence.
3. The University Grants Commission can be requested to create - to begin with at least in Central Universities - a certain number of professional chairs for classical languages for scholars of eminence in the language.
4. For promoting the language, regional and global centers can be established Which of the above statements is not true?
d) 4View Answer / Hide Answer5. Which region got special status under article 371-J?
d) MizoramView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Match the following pairs
ANSWER: b) Hyderabad-Karnataka
Explanation: It will grant special status to six backward districts of Hyderabad-Karnataka region to establish a separate Development Board which will see that sufficient funds are allocated for Development of the region and Local reservation in education and Government-jobs.
1. Himmat -------- i) Delhi Police
2. isafe --------- ii) Uttar Pradesh Police
3. Nirbhaya ------ iii) Railway
4. m-indicator ---- iv) Kerala Police
a) 1-ii, 2-iv,3-i, 4-iii
b) 1-i, 2-iv,3-ii, 4-iii
c) 1-ii, 2-iii,3-i, 4-iv
d) 1-i, 2-iv,3-iii, 4-iiView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Which state ha s introduced ordinance which bars people below class VIII education from contesting Panchayat elections?
ANSWER: b) 1-i, 2-iv,3-ii, 4-iii
Explanation: Himmat is women safety mobile application of Delhi Police.
Uttar Pradesh Police is planning a similar app called Nirbhaya (Mobile App) which is currently launched for Noida by Noida Police. iSafe women's safety app launched in Kerala police while Railway launched "m-indicator" app for women safety.
d) MaharashtraView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Which ministry has proposed to set up Investigative Units on Crimes against Women (IUCAW)?
ANSWER: c) Rajsthan
Explanation: Recently SC refuses to hear pleas against Rajasthan ordiance which bars people below class VIII education from contesting Panchayat elections.
a) Ministry of Home Affairs
b) Ministry of Law and Justice
c) Ministry of Women and Child Development
d) Ministry Of Health and Family WelfareView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Puducherry's Lt.Governor launches SAFE app. What is the purpose of the app?
ANSWER: a) Ministry of Home Affairs
Explanation: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) proposes to set up Investigative Units on Crimes against Women (IUCAW), in 20% of the districts of each State on a 50:50 cost sharing basis with the states.
a) Woman safety
b) Labor safety
c) Tracking of public expenditure
d) Flight safetyView Answer / Hide Answer
10. Consider the following statements related to zero based budgeting
ANSWER: c) Tracking of public expenditure
Explanation: SAFE app provides Storage, Analysis and Archival Solution for Finance- for keeping track of public Expenditure
1. Andhra Pradesh Government will shift to "Zero based budgeting" system from next year
2.Zero based budgeting justify only variances versus past years based on the assumption that the "baseline" is automatically approved.
3. It is also called as incremental budgeting.
4. Zero based budgeting also refers to the identification of a task or tasks and then funding resources to complete the task independent of current resourcingWhich of the above statements are not true?
d) 1,2,4View Answer / Hide Answer
11. Consider the following statements
ANSWER: b) 2,3
Explanation:Traditional budgeting which is incremental budgeting justify only variances versus past years based on the assumption that the "baseline" is automatically approved.
1. The Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 helps for easier citizenship norms for People of Indian Origin (PIOs) as well as life-long visas.
2. In respect of existing PIO card holders, the Center may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify a particular date from which all existing PIO card holders will be deemed to be OCI card holders
3. The ordinance also enables registration as OCI by a minor, whose parents are Indian citizens.
4. It also provides exemption from appearing before the local police station on every visit.Which of the following statements are true?
d) 1,2,3,4.View Answer / Hide Answer12. Consider the following statements
1. Reangs tribe depend on shifting cultivation for livelihood.
2. Shifting cultivation in India is known as jhum in Assam, punam krishi is Kerala, podu in Andhra Pradesh and Orissa, bewar,
mashan, penda and beera in different parts of Madhya Pradesh
3. Reags tribe mostly occupy Madhya Pradesh forestWhich of the above statements are true?
d) 1,2,3View Answer / Hide Answer
13. Which state became first to allow direct recruitment of Police inspectors?
ANSWER: b) 1,2
Explanation: In the late 90s, Reang (Bru) tribals fled from Mizoram to Tripura, due to ethnic violence. Government gives each person one soap, one t-shirt and one pant for the whole year- saying if we give more facilities they'll only stay in relief camps instead of going back to settle in Mizoram. SC slapped Government for this mindset.
d) GujratView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d) Gujrat
Explanation: Gujarat becomes first state in the country to allow direct recruitment of Police inspectors.