Major differences in Short label and Near label jump instructions - 8086
Point out the major differences in Short label and Near label jump instructions.
The characteristics of Short Label instructions are:
- This type of instruction relative to the jump instruction address specifies the jump.
- The new value of an IP is specified with an 8-bit operand.
- From the location of the jump instruction the range in which this instruction can be used is between -126 to +129 bytes.
The characteristics of Near Label instructions are as follows:
- For Near label instruction the address of the jump is specified in relative terms to the jump instruction itself.
- The new values of Ip is specified with a sixteen-bit operand.
- This type of instruction covers the complete range of the code segment currently used.