Partitioning in reference to operating systems - Computer architecture and design
What do you understand by partitioning in reference to operating systems. Give their advantages and disadvantages.
- Partitioning involves the user to partition their hard drives and then they can implement / install multiple operating systems on them. The user requires a boot manager to switch between different operating systems.
- Partitioning allows each operating system to work optimally.
- Each os has the complete access to the hardware of the system on which it is being executed.
- Also depending on the file system used the user is free to resize his partition according to his needs.
- But manual partition is not a simple task and requires patience.
- The system needs to be restarted in case the user wants to switch operating systems.