Politicians must a have retirement age
Politicians must a have retirement age
Every profession has a retirement age, but there are a few exceptions and one of the them is surely politics. There is a reason for having retirement age in every profession - after a certain age ones efficiency is considered to reduce and it is time for him/her to retire from work & enjoy the remaining life in peace. It is also essential as young need employments and one of the ways to provide for this is by filling in the vacancies due to retirement. But when it comes to the rule makers, no retirement age seems to apply. A recent suggestion by a senior congress party leader Janardhan Dwivedi that politicians must retire from active politics post age 70 has started a debate. So, what do you think? Should there be a retirement age in politics as well like any other profession?
- We need young people to take up senior positions in political arena, which is only possible when elders leave active participation in politics.
- Politicians are also human beings, and after a certain age they are also prone to age related issues and thus for the same reason as there is a retirement age in other employment there should be one for politicians
- Whilst senior politicians would have valuable knowledge & experience, generally they have a more conventional approach which acts as a barrier to new thoughts & ideas
- Ideally, the retirement age should not be set very high i.e 70 but should be more in line with retirement age set for other employment (age 60), and where a politician is considered as a valuable mentor he/she could be involved as a consultant but not put directly in power.
- We have seen enough family dynasty in Indian politics and do not need any individual to hold power until the next kin is ready to take up the position.
- Having a set retirement age for politicians would also ensure that a person knows that his reign of power would end at a definite point of time and he may have to answer for any misappropriation sooner rather than later.
- Politicians are representatives of the public, and assume public office. In reality they are public servants in service as long as the public considers them as suitable.
- If the public does not think they are suitable to perform required duties due to their age, then they would not elect them as their representative in rajya/lok sabha elections
- Over the years, politician acquire great knowledge & experience, which can’t be easily replaced
- Politicians also play an important role in maintaining diplomatic relationships which may be impacted by their retirement, and their successor may not be as successful
- Younger people in the party who lack legislative & administrative experience would need hand holding & direction, this would be difficult without the knowledge & experience of veteran politicians.
- Loosing senior politicians may also impact on public acceptability of the political party, as there is a element of individual trust and goodwill involved.
Senior politicians have a wealth of knowledge & experience, which is essential for the role but in order to ensure that one does not remain in seat of power indefinitely & young people are able to take key positions in political arena, thus contribution fresh ideas and new perspective, it is essential that politicians also retire at a predetermined age.
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -gary (01/31/19)
- all politicians should be forced to retire by age 65 and also have term limits say no more than 20 years.
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -Vaibhav (12/06/16)
- If u want to be like Gandhiji then
don't be politician...
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -Soumen Maity (06/13/15)
- Every position in governmental job has an age limit, but according to me politics is not an ordinary job. It takes responsibility to lead a region or state or nation to right way and for that it takes a lot of experience. It is not like that we can recruit s fresher then we train him and he be a politician.
To be a politician it takes mental maturity, how a politician can handle a problem that also matter. So according to me until a politician can handle problems and until he is mentally fit to take decisions he should be in politics.
So for someone age can be 70 or for some one age can be 40. that does not matter. Only thing matter is experience and mental maturity to take decisions and handling problems.
So I don't thing that politician should have an retirement age
- RE: Politicians must have a retirement age -Kartikeya Gulati. (06/09/15)
- Every Position have a Retirement Age in Government Office. Even Politics should have a Age limit because a person after some age when becomes a senior Citizen i.e. 60 Years of Age cannot work so efficiently as a young person could and cannot serve the country with the Prompt and fast decision which can be made by a young Person with political position thus giving young generation a chance to lead their country.
When Age Limit is set then the New people coming to politics can bring new ideas and thoughts which will help India grow because Old Senior Politicians want to be stuck with their old Ideas. bringing new ideas in politics will bring new talented people in politics which will help India Develop faster and the crime rate will decrease. leading to less Scam.
Every Person should get a chance and Politicians must a retirement age.
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -rupi (02/08/15)
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -Teena Bhatia (09/02/14)
- There is one bitter truth about politics in democracy, and it is that the citizens of nation have the power to determine who will rule the nation. The politicians should have a retirement age is an irrelevant discussion until and unless the citizens demand it. In fact, till this time, there has never been a major issue connected with the retirement age of politicians. Moreover, the selection of politicians depends on two important factors:
• Experience and expertise: It is said old is gold, and the adage stands completely true in politics. Experienced politicians are an asset to the nation who has got the knowledge and expertise to solve the greatest of problems. Let us take the example of Mahatma Gandhi. He was not a politician but he fought for his country and got the freedom when he has crossed the so called age limit of retirement. Also, we should consider the progress of Kerala which has got some of the oldest legislators and is still doing better than other states.
• Character: The next important factor that should determine the tenure of politicians is the character. A strong character politician with no corruption record cannot be removed from the system. Such politicians are an asset to the country and age cannot stop them from working for the nation.
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -Rahul pandey (09/01/14)
- The legacy and profound knowledge of the elder politicians cannot be denied.but on the other hand the vigour,mental activeness,participation in active politics goes hard for them.accordingly they must be given a back seat to advice and mentor the young naives and contribute indirectly in politics.as we cannot afford to loose the granular ideas and term them listless in any case.
- RE: Politicians must a have retirement age -Vishal Vishwanathan (09/01/14)
- Like every government job, there has to be a retirement age for politicians. After certain age efficiency will decrease gradually, its a common factor. They should move out for providing opportunity for youngsters. This things are followed in every organization, why not in politics. The main reason why politicians are not ready to move out of active politics is their greed towards politics and there may be few who are corrupted. They are always able to influence the administration of the state in every age. This cannot be offered by other jobs. The aged politicians can move out of politics like contesting in elections, their experience can be utilized by the political party to guide the party in the right direction.