Polity and Governance Questions for IAS Prelims - Set 131.Consider the following statements
1. The Road Safety Committee formed by the Parliament.
2. The committee is headed by the former Supreme Court judge K.S. Radhakrishnan. Which of the above statement is/are correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
d) None View Answer / Hide Answer
2. Which of the following are recommendation of the road Safety Committee?
ANSWER: b) Only 2
The committee was formed in April, 2014 by supreme court , on a public interest litigation petition to monitor implementation of road safety laws.
1. Introduction of uniform crash tests
2. Setting up of road safety council by State government
3. Tightening of road patrols on highways and setting up of a road safety fund
4. Removal of roadside advertisements and posters that obstruct the view of drivers or distract them
5. Ban on sale of liquor on National and State highways.
d) All View Answer / Hide Answer3. Consider the following statements
1. The Inter-State Council is set up under Article 263
2.It is permanent constitutional body for co-ordination among center and states and two or more states
3. It was set up on recommendations of Sarkaria Commission Which of the above statements are correct?
d) All View Answer / Hide Answer
4.Who is the chairman of Inter-State Council?
ANSWER: b) 1,3
The Inter-State Council is not a permanent constitutional body
It can be established 'at any time' if it appears to the President that the public interests would be served by the establishment of such a Council.
b) Prime minister
c) cabinet secretary
d) Chief ministers elected by members of councilView Answer / Hide Answer
5. Who is authorized to decide a dispute regarding election of vice president?
ANSWER: b) Prime minister
Council composed of
1. Prime Minister as Chairman
2. Chief Ministers of all States
3. Chief Ministers of Union Territories h
4. Governors of States under Presidentâ€™s Rule
5. Six Ministers of Cabinet rank in the Union Council of Ministers to be nominated by the Prime Minister
6. Four Ministers of Cabinet rank as Permanent invitees
b) Supreme Court
c) Election Commissioner
d) President in constitution with Election CommissionView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b) Supreme Court
Representation of the People (Amendment) Act, 1966, which abolished the election tribunals and transferred the election petitions to the high courts whose orders can be appealed to Supreme Court. However, election disputes regarding the election of President and Vice-President are directly heard by the Supreme Court.