Skills required in the field of Prosthetics and Orthotics
What are the skills should I possess to become a good candidate of this profession?
Since it is a health care profession the main attribute for a candidate that he should be compassionate to the people/his or her patients. They should have passion of making the difference every day. Besides this a good candidate should have sound communication skills as he/she will be dealing with different people. Following are the some summarized skills required:
- Desire to improve the lives of patients
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving
- Good aptitude of math and science
- Comfortable in working with different people
- Practical way of solving a problem
- sensitivity and understanding to the needs of patients
- the ability to use your initiative and work well in a team
- strong IT skills (for designing)
- artistic skills
- mechanical and engineering skills
- knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- technical aptitude
Where would I work as a Prosthetist & Orthotist?
One can choose to work in private and public sector in healthcare, medical and educational institutions. Orthotists and prosthetists work in a variety of settings:
- Private practice
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Specialty clinics and home health settings
- Nursing homes
- Manufacturing Labs
- Health care retailers
- Educational institutes
What are conditions for private practice?
A qualified Prosthetist and Orthotist must register with Rehabilitation Council of India in order to do private practice in India.