The drainage system in India - MCQs with answers - Part I1. Which one of the following does not belong to Himalayan rivers?
d) GandakView Answer / Hide Answer
2. Which one of the following does not belong to antecedent rivers in respect of all three parallel ranges of Himalayas?
ANSWER: b) Cauvery
Indus, Ganga, Brahmaputra, Satluj, Alaknanda, Gandak, Kosi etc are Himalayan rivers
d) GolaView Answer / Hide Answer
3. Which one of the following does not belong to antecedent rivers in respect of lesser and outer ranges of Himalayas?
ANSWER: d) Gola
Indus, Sutlej, Ganga, Ghaghra, Kosi, Brahmaputra are antecedent rivers in respect of all three parallel ranges of Himalayas.
d) RaviView Answer / Hide Answer
4. Which one of the following rivers does not belong to antecedent rivers in respect of outer range of Himalayas?
ANSWER: a) Gola
Jhelum, Yamuna, Ravi, Ramganga are antecedent rivers in respect of lesser and outer ranges of Himalayas.
d) RaptiView Answer / Hide Answer
5. In the end of its mountainous journey at Attock, Indus river is joined by which river from Afghanistan?
ANSWER: a) Chenab
Kamla, Rapti, Gola are antecedent rivers in respect of outer range of Himalayas.
a) Amu Darya
b) Kabul river
c) Helmand river
d) Hari riverView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Where does Indus river empty itself?
ANSWER: b) Kabul river
It is the main river in eastern Afghanistan and is separated from the watershed of the Helmand by the Unai Pass.
a) Andaman Sea
b) Arabian Sea
c) Bay of Bengal
d) Red SeaView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Which one of the following does not belong to the tributaries of Jhelum in Kashmir?
ANSWER: b) Arabian Sea
The biggest river flowing into the Sea is the Indus River.
d) SindView Answer / Hide Answer8. Where does the Jhelum river emerge forming the India-Pakistan boundary?
a) Iranian Plateau
b) Potwar Plateau
c) Rohtas Plateau
d) Shillong PlateauView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Where does the Jhelum River join the Chenab?
ANSWER: b) Potwar Plateau
Potohar Plateau is bounded on the east by the Jhelum River, on the west by the Indus River, on the north by the Kala Chitta Range and the Margalla Hills, and on the south by the Salt Range.
d) TrimmuView Answer / Hide Answer
10. From where does the Chenab originate?
ANSWER: d) Trimmu
Trimmu Barrage is a barrage on the River Chenab in the Jhang District of the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is situated downstream of the confluence of the River Jhelum and River Chenab. Trimmu Barrage is used to control water flow into the River Chenab for irrigation and food control purposes.
a) Rohtang Pass
b) Khardung La
c) Nathu La
d) Bara Lacha PassView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d) Bara Lacha Pass
The pass also acts as a water-divide between the Bhaga river and the Yunam river.