United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) - Establishment, Activities, Functions
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
• Established in- 1945-46
• Type of organization – specialized agency of the United Nations (UN)
• Headquarter - Paris, France.
• Current Director-General - Irina Bokova
• Members - 195
• History - heir of the League of Nations ' International Committee on Intellectual Cooperation'.
Purpose - contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through education, science, and culture in order to further universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom proclaimed in the United Nations Charter.
Five major programs :
2. Natural sciences
3. Social/human sciences
UESCO is also a member of the United Nations Development Group.
1. Building of peace
2. Eradication of poverty
3. Sustainable development
4. Inter-cultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information".