What is bridging? - Telecommunications
What is bridging?
- One of the forward techniques to use in packet-switched networks.
- Bridging makes no assumptions about the address location of the network.
- Flooding and examination of the source addresses are the building blocks for received packet headers for locating unknown devices.
- The address of the device and its location is recorded in MAC address table for further broadcasting, after locating the device.
- Bridging refers to Transparent bridging that predominates in Ethernet.
- Source route bridging is used for token ring networks.