What are Persistence Points?- The process of saving your running orchestration state at certain point is called persistence.
- Orchestration engine persist a running instance which is based on the design of orchestration.
- There are few events or stages, which triggers the persistence operation called persistence points.
Following is the list of events (Persistence Points) that call the persistence operation:
1. Orchestration Instance is suspended or finished
2. System shutdowns in a controlled manner
3. Engine determines it wants to dehydrate
4. Atomic or long running transactional scope ends
5. At debugging breakpoints
6. Execution of other orchestrations through the Start Orchestration shape
7. At the Send shape (but not atomic)
What are Persistence Points?The state of an orchestration is saved in the following scenarios:
- End of transactional scope is reached
- Debugging breakpoint is reached
- When a message is sent from an atomic transaction scope
- The orchestration instance is suspended
The state of running orchestration instance at various points are saved by orchestration engine. These points are used in instances such as rehydrate the orchestration instance, start the process from a controlled shutdown, recovering from an unexpected shutdown. The orchestration engine runs these instances from the previous point of existence, as if nothing had occurred.