What is Assembly manifest?- Assembly Manifest describes the relationship and dependencies of the components in the assembly.
- The versioning information, scope information and the security permissions are required by the assembly.
- An Assembly data like version, scope, security information (strong name),etc is stored in manifest.
- The assembly manifest also contains a reference to the resource and classes.
- The assembly manifest of an assembly is stored in either an .exe or a .dll with Microsoft intermediate language (MSIL) code.
- This file contains metadata about .NET assemblies.
- It contains a collection of data that describes how the elements in the assembly relate to each other.
Where is it stored?
- It can be stored in Portable Executable(PE) file (.exe or .dll) with Microsoft Intermediate Language(MSIL) code.
- You can add or change some information in the Assembly Manifest by using assembly attributes in your code.
- You can view the manifest information for any managed DLL using ILDasm.
It performs following functions:
- It enumerates the files that make up the assembly.
- It provides a level of indirection between consumers of the assembly and the assemblies implementation details.
- It renders the assembly self-describing.
- It enumerates other assemblies on which the assembly depends.