Tips to improve writing skillsIntroduction
Writing can also be called as a medium of communicating your thoughts. Whether you write an official e-mail, an article, an e-mail in the office or a poem, it all means that you are trying to put down your thoughts on a paper and communicate with the external world. Suppose you write an e-mail in the office but it doesn’t convey your actual thoughts to your boss, can you call it effective writing? You always answered all the questions correctly in your exam sheet but could never score good marks, does it have to do anything with your writing skills?
What do you think can writing skills do for you? How can you develop them? Share your thoughts and experiences on the subject by being a part of this discussion.
Good writing skills are essential for an effective communication. Since words are the only weapon, writing skills must be very strong to convey and express something to the reader.Important points to remember to achieve Good writing skills:
- Avoid using complicated and difficult words to express ideas.
- Key point to an effective writing skill is to avoid spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- Separate ideas by paragraph.
- Once what is written and communicated cannot be taken back. Hence, writing skill must be to the point and concrete.
- Avoid using slang’s, abbreviations. Sentences should be as short as possible so that the reader does not loose the track.
- Since there may be (in some scenarios) no reciprocation, good writing skills should be clear.
- Always support your thoughts and ideas with reality and examples.
- The Readers perspective must always be considered
- Never deviate from the topic of discussion.
- Avoid grasping emotional attention through writing.
- Always focus on quality not quantity. Long written text may be monotonous.
Why good writing skills?
- Writing skills come into picture when interacting with people overseas. Hence, from a professional perspective, writing skills play an extremely important role.
- Good writing skills can get prospects and build professional relationships.
- Good writing skills can at times be very convincing compared to verbal communication.
- Reader can read the text as per his convenience.