English Grammar and correct usage test – Oct 02, 2014
1. Four sentences on the same theme are given. Choose the best alternative that represents the sentence grammatically and logically correct.
a. It is essence that managers from the highest levels of the company be involved in the decision making process.
b. It were essential that manager from the highest level of the company are involved in the decision making process.
c. It will be essence that managers with the highest levels of the company be involved in the decision making process.
d. It was essential that managers from the highest levels of the company be involved in the decision – making process.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. It was essential that managers from the highest levels of the company be involved in the decision – making process.
2. Choose the correct meaning of the below given idiom.
i. Make a bee – line for
a. To excuse one self
b. To rush towards
c. To handle
d. To enquireView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. To rush towards
3. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
i. The exports are copra, fungus and straw hats, which the women plait
ii. He spoke sternly while pointing his fork towards her plate.
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. If both the sentences are correct
4. A relationship is observed in the below given words. Choose the alternative that represents the same relationship.
Hypocrisy : Honesty
a. Seldom : Often
b. Murder : Sympathy
c. Arrogant : Notorious
d. Literature : PhilosophyView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Seldom : Often
5. Choose the correct spelling of the below given words.
d. ConciliatoryView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Which alternative will best replace below given sentence.
i. A person who is extremely tired or suffering from effects of alcohol or drugs
d. ZingView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Choose the odd man out.
e. VictoriaView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Choose the correct synonym for the below given word.
d. BustlingView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Choose the correct antonym which is underlined in the below given sentence.
i. From his eye, he saw a third ruffian
hurtle backward into the bushes
d. SavageView Answer / Hide Answer
10. Choose the correct alternative that forms a logical word from the jumbled parts.
T R H C E O
1 2 3 4 5 6
d. 354162View Answer / Hide Answer