English Grammar and correct usage test – Sep 25, 2014
1. Rearrange the given 5 sentences in proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph and answer the questions given below.
A. Finally, abstract artists and representational artists maintain different ideas about ‘reality’.
B. These artists were trying to evoke a response from society through an expressionistic manner.
C. This is the reality he interprets on canvas.
D. Miro created powerful, surrealistic images from his dreams and subconscious.
E. To the representational artist, reality is what he sees with his eyes.
i. Which of the following alternative should be the third sentence?
ii. Which of the following should be the first sentence?
iii. Which of the following should be the fourth sentence?
iv. Which of the following should be the second sentence?
i. - A, ii. - D, iii. - E, iv. - B
i. - A, ii. - C, iii. - D, iv. - E
i. - E, ii. - A, iii. - C, iv. - B
i. - C, ii. - B, iii. - B, iv. - AView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: i. - A, ii. - D, iii. - E, iv. - B
2. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
i. The car stalled. The car ran out of gas.
d. YetView Answer / Hide Answer
3. Rearrange the alternatives between 1 and 6 to form a coherent paragraph.
1. In the beginning of this era, man was quite ignorant and overawed of the natural forces and his surroundings.
A. To him every object of nature was a mystery.
B. Even the rustling of leaves frightened him in darkness.
C. In gratitude to the forces and objects which gave him shelter and comfort he also worshipped them.
D. Out of this hostility and horror, he had no option but to regard these forces as Gods.
6. With this mental makeup, grown mainly out of fear and necessity, he invented imaginary gods and goddesses.
d. CDABView Answer / Hide Answer
4. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. She said, “I am reading a whodunit now”.
a. She says she was reading a whodunit then
b. She was saying that she was reading a whodunit then
c. She said she was reading a whodunit then
d. She could have told that she was reading a whodunit thenView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. She said she was reading a whodunit then
5. Rearrange the following alternatives to form a logical and meaningful sentence.
A. More efficiently than its competitors
B. The knowledge a firm needs for growth is knowledge
C. About customers and markets, and knowledge
D. About business processes that deliver value to customers.
d. ACDBView Answer / Hide Answer
6. The sentence given below is mentioned in Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
i. She faxed her application for a new job.
a. The application for a new job was faxed by her.
b. The application for a new job is being faxed by her.
c. The application for a new job were being faxed by her.
d. The application was being faxed by her for a new job.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. The application for a new job was faxed by her.
7. A sentence is divided into 4 parts. Choose which part of the sentence contains error.
a. After years of quarrelling with each other,
b. Through the good offices of a mutual friend
c. Who had convinced them of the need for the same
d. The neighbours came to an amiable settlementView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. The neighbours came to an amiable settlement
8. Complete the below mentioned sentence by choosing the best alternative that suits the sentence.
i. ___________ a new self – image for women along with new modes of thinking and a new system of values.
a. Conventional stereotypes are creating
b. Ethnic liberation movements deny
c. The feminist movement is creating
d. The renaissance of women assessesView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. The feminist movement is creating
9. Choose the best alternative that can replace the underlined portion in the below given sentence.
i. Standards of reportage in the profession have actually risen in recent years, with specialists lending credibility to the printed word.
a. With specialists lending credibility to the printed word
b. With specialists who have lend credibility to the printed word
c. As specialists lending credibility to the printed word
d. By specialists lending credibility for the printed word.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. With specialists lending credibility to the printed word
10. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word to complete the following sentence by choosing the correct alternative.
i. He lost his balance ___________fell off the bicycle.
d. ButView Answer / Hide Answer